Essential takeaway: We win in 6 easy steps!
This weeks conference countdown talk is called Power to Overcome the Adversary by Peter M. Johnson. The main highlights of his talk were what he called the 3 D’s. Deception, Distraction, and Discouragement. One of my very favorite lines in the talk is “You have the power to overcome the adversary.” Period. End of discussion. How cool is that?! The very next sentence can be a little scary though. “The adversary, however, is aware of who you are.” Do we remember we are at war? WE ARE AT WAR!!! But, we were just told we have the power to overcome. Elder Johnson gives several weapons we can wield to win the war. Some he suggests we use are:
1. Recognize who we are as children of God. Think about how powerful that can be.
2. Be careful and not casual in our use of technology. Use it to bring us closer to Christ and not distract.
3. Remember to love God and others (including our selves!)
4. Pray to God. ASK for the power He has promised.
5. Read the Book of Mormon every day, every day, every day.
6. Partake of the sacrament every week, every week, every week.
My friends, we are at war! Use the tools we have been given to do all we can to beat the adversary. We know he is throwing everything he can at us… we might as well build up a super cool, powerful wall (thank you Trump for that line) and block as much of Satans garbage as we can. It seems dumb to me that we would take off our armor in the middle of battle.